Healthy Food - York Middle School: SSC 2015
Samantha Smith Challenge
York Middle School
Team Snow Leopard, Team 1
Scroll down to see the video!
The Issue: Eating Healthy
The Question: What does it mean to eat healthy?
Community Partners and Stakeholders:
- Local farmers
- Local Hannaford store
- YMS community
Facts and Resources that Influenced Your Thinking:
- Students watched the movie Food Inc., which gave them an overview of the food system here.
- They started their research around the topics of GMO's, pesticides, corn products, Monsanto, and slaughterhouses.
- Through their research, they realized that they had to re-focus and choose a specific topic, as the topic of "food revolution" was too big. They decided on "what it means to eat healthy".
Plan of Action:
- To teach the YMS and York communities about what it means to eat healthy.
- Make a website with the following:
- Tasty Tips for eating healthy
- Tips for how to plant a garden
- Tips for what to pack for healthy school lunches
- PSA with this info in it
- Hanging Tasty Tip signs around the school and at the local Hannaford.
- Make healthy snacks for the team while we showcase our projects.
Findings of research include:
- What it means to eat healthy--
- Eat nutritious foods that your body will like.
- Upping fruit & vegetable intake.
- Limiting the amount of processed foods.
- Eat meat & animal products in moderation.
- Go to your local farmer's markets.
Belle Babcock Grace Beecher
Lily Brodski Ashley Carney
Leah Daigneault Aidan Drew
Sydney Fogg Riley Johnston
Delaney LaBonte Sara L.amoureaux
Riley Linn Justin Suarez
Teacher: Melissa Fenelon
Names of people who made the video: Riley Linn & Riley Johnston
Thoughts about this experience:
"I gained confidence in speaking by going to the farmers market and interviewing the farmers." - Sydney Fogg
"This made me think about what I eat more & made me more cautious about what is in my food." - Aidan Drew
"During our showcase, it really came out how much work everyone did for the community." - Riley Linn
"It felt good to make a change in people's thoughts on healthy eating." - Leah Daigneault
"The process made me think about how I am living and eating." - Grace Beecher